ifo Institute's Business Climate Index Rose Sharply, Signaling Improving Outlook for the Eurozone Economy
Aug 27, 2018
Start Your Free Trial Today
*Data in Price Return and Updated Real-Time (with a delay), Source: StockDio
- European markets ignore further Turkish Lira decline as a sharp increase in the closely watched ifo Institute's Business Climate Index indicates expectations of improving economic outlook in the Eurozone. The ifo Institute is a prominant German economic institute.
- The Euro Stoxx 600 is currently up +0.24%, the FTSE 100 is higher by +0.19%, the DAX has advanced +0.47%, and the CAC 40 has risen +0.4%
- The Euro Stoxx 600 is lagging behind the S&P 500 by more than 8% YTD with investors more cautious about the earnings outlook for European corporates vs. their counterparts in the US
- A UK summer bank holiday has oveshadowed trading, with volume in the Euro Stoxx 600 nearly 66% below its 30-day average
- German Bund yields are back up to two-week highs following a surprising print from the Ifo Institute German business sentiment survey suggests the outlook for the German and Eurozone economies is improving
- Investor sentiment for European stocks is neutral with the advance/decline ratio for the Euro Stoxx 600 currently at 1.1x
- Automobiles & Parts (+1.23%), Retail (+0.73%), and Technology (+0.7%) stocks are the top performers in the Euro Stoxx 600 today
- Telecommunications (-0.1%), Basic Resources (-0.09%), and Utilities (-0.08%) stocks are the worst performers in the Euro Stoxx 600 today
- 76 stocks in the Euro Stoxx 600 are at 4-week highs while 30 stocks are at 4-week lows
- 26 stocks in the Euro Stoxx 600 are overbought while 14 stocks are oversold according to the 16-day RSI Measure
- VSTOXX, the European stocks equivalent of the VIX, is moving little changed this morning and is currently at 13.31 after closing at 13.19 last week
What is Going on with European Currencies?
- EUR€ is currently little changed against the USD$ at 1.1619
- GBP£ is currently little changed against the USD$ at 1.2857
- CHF is currently little changed against the USD$ at 1.0172
Highlights from the European Bond Market
- German 10-Year Bunds are lower with yields up 1 basis point to 0.355%
- French 10-Year Government Bonds are lower with yields up 0.7 basis points to 0.694%
- UK 10-Year GILTs are lower with yields up 0.8 basis points to 1.278%
- Italian 10-Year Government Bonds are flat with yields unchanged at 3.152%
- Spanish 10-Year Government Bonds are lower with yields up 0.6 basis points to 1.4%
Euro Stoxx 50 Movers
In local currency.
On Mobile/Tablet scroll to the right.
|Bayerische Motoren Werke AG
|ASML Holding NV
|Schneider Electric SE
|Intesa Sanpaolo SpA