Cryptocurrencies are mixed as Overstock.com launches tZero token platform
Jan 25, 2019
Top 5 Cryptocurrencies sorted by 24 hour Volume
On Mobile/Tablet scroll to the right
Top 5 Cryptocurrencies sorted by 24 hour Price Percent Change
On Mobile/Tablet scroll to the right
Crypto Market Recap
- Cryptocurrency prices are broadly mixed this afternoon with the price of Bitcoin (BTC) up 0.09% in the last 24 hours to USD$3,594.75. Binance Coin (BNB) is posting the largest gains among major cryptocurrencies, up 3.25% in the last 24 hours to USD$6.70. IOTA (MIOTA), meanwhile, is down the most among major cryptocurrencies, falling 1.06% over the last 24 hours to USD$0.291356. BNB flipped MIOTA to become the 12th largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization as a result of the coins’ respective gains and losses.
Crypto Developments in Financial Services
- Overstock, a US e-commerce giant who is transitioning business practices into the blockchain and crypto industry, has launched live secondary trading of its tZERO tokens, as per a press release Thursday. Secondary trading of tZERO is available only to accredited investors through a digital securities account at Dinosaur Financial Group, who will act as a broker-dealer. CEO of tZERO, Saum Noursalehi, said on the token launch, “The world of security tokens has lacked a regulated venue for secondary trading. The trading of our own security tokens is the cross of the Rubicon for the new world of digital assets. This will create liquidity, democratize access, bring transparency and efficiency to global markets, and accelerate the adoption of security tokens.”
- Major US-based cryptocurrency exchange and wallet service Coinbase has announced the addition of services to enable users in the US to claim crypto trades on their taxes. In addition to an extensive crypto tax educational guide, Coinbase also added integration with popular tax software TurboTax on its platform. Coinbase aims to add clarity for its users regarding cryptocurrency transactions and their tax requirements with the launch of its new services.
Crypto Regulatory Environment
- Elizabeth Rossiello, the CEO and founder of African blockchain startup BitPesa, has been appointed by the World Economic Forum (WEF) to serve as one of two co-chairs of the Global Blockchain Council, as per an official press release. According to reports, Rossiello has been working with industry experts and the Global Blockchain Council’s thirty members at the WEF Annual Meeting in Davos, Switzerland to determine the agenda and priorities of the council. As per the press release, the Global Blockchain Council was established, “to shape a global technological policy and corporate governance agency,” in the fields of cybersecurity and blockchain.
General Crypto News
- Aetna, a US-based health insurance giant, is partnering with IBM to develop a blockchain platform for the healthcare industry, according to a Reuters report Thursday. Aetna and IBM also issued a joint statement specifying that the blockchain platform will be tailored to streamline insurance claims processing and payments. Other notable US companies, including PNC Bank, Health Care Service Corporation, and Anthem Inc. Have also joined the blockchain initiative.
- A new survey published by the Global Blockchain Business Council, a global trade association, finds that 40% of institutional investors believe blockchain could be the most important innovation since the Internet. The survey questioned 71 investors with the results being revealed at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. 38% of those surveyed also believe that firms will need to reveal their approach to blockchain technology within the next five years.
*Data in Price Return and Updated Real-Time (with a delay), Source: StockDio