Cryptocurrencies trade mixed, London Stock Exchange invests in blockchain startup
Feb 27, 2019
Top 5 Cryptocurrencies sorted by 24 hour Volume
On Mobile/Tablet scroll to the right
Top 5 Cryptocurrencies sorted by 24 hour Price Percent Change
On Mobile/Tablet scroll to the right
Crypto Market Recap
- Cryptocurrencies are broadly mixed in afternoon trading as the price of Bitcoin (BTC) edged lower by 0.16% in the last 24 hours to USD$3,854.77. Binance Coin (BNB) is continuing to outperform major coins in the day’s trading, up 4.22% in the last 24 hours to USD$9.94. Bitcoin SV (BSV), meanwhile, is the worst performing coin in today’s trading, falling 5.84% over the last 24 hours to USD$69.74. Maker (MKR), the 16th largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization, is also lagging major coins today, falling 4.97% over the last 24 hours to USD$647.20.
Crypto Developments in Financial Services
- The London Stock Exchange Group led the USD$20mm investment round of fintech startup blockchain Nivaura, according to a report by Reuters. In addition to the London Stock Exchange Group, Santander InnoVentures, the venture capital arm of Banco Santander, also invested capital into Nivaura. Based in the UK, Nivaura develops blockchain-based solutions that automate issuances, clearing, and settlement of financial instruments -- Nivaura also developed the world’s first crypto-denominated blockchain-settled bond.
- JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon discussed in an interview with CNBC that the financial institution’s prospective JPM Coin could have consumer applications in the future. In the interview with CNBC, Dimon stated, “JP Morgan Coin could be internal, could be commercial, it could one day be consumer.” JPMorgan hopes that JPM Coin will help to increase the US bank’s settlement efficiency, a move that may establish a dangerous precedent for the future of the SWIFT Network.
- Pangea Blockchain Fund has officially launched its blockchain investment fund that will target the development of blockchain-based solutions, according to an official press release. So far, Pangea Blockchain Fund has secured USD$22mm of funding from key investors that include Bitcoin.com CEO Roger Ver. Copernicus Asset Management also participated in the fund raising round, a company that is officially licensed as a Swiss Authorized Asset Manager and acts as Pangea’s investment manager.
Crypto Regulatory Environment
- Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered the Russian government to adopt regulations for digital assets and the crypto industry by July 2019, according to a document published on Kremlin.ru, the official website of the President of Russia. The Russian President is ordering the Council of the Federation of Russia and the Russian State Duma to adopt crypto and digital assets regulation during the 2019 spring session.
General Crypto News
- A Samsung official discussed at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain on Monday that the smartphone maker’s new Galaxy S10 series will include wallet functions for Ethereum (ETH), Bitcoin (BTC), and two other tokens. Samsung is also partnering with COSMEE, a blockchain-based mobile beauty application, to bring its support for the COSMEE token (COSM) to the Galaxy S10 series. Finally, Samsung is partnering with Ejin, a crypto wallet company whose wallet will be featured on the Galaxy S10 series.
- When asked about the state of Bitcoin (BTC) and its potential in an interview with Bloomberg, Apple Co-Founder Steve Wozniak stated, “I’m not sure I can buy that we’ve seen massive value destruction, I think we’ve seen massive value creation.” In June 2018, Wozniak predicted that BTC will become the world’s currency in the future.
*Data in Price Return and Updated Real-Time (with a delay), Source: StockDio