European stocks post gains on strong Eurozone earnings and US jobs data
May 03, 2019
scroll down for the Asian markets recap
International Stock Markets Indexes
*Data in Price Return and Updated Real-Time (with a delay), Source: StockDio
European Markets Recap
- European stocks rose in tandem with US shares, strong earings in Europe with strong jobs data in US fueled gains across the board, across the Continent
- Inflation in the Eurozone showed some life, printing at 1.7% for the month of April, and 1.2% ex-food and energy, the highest in months
- Our CIO was interviewed by Benzinga: A Q&A With The Co-Founder Of Quantamize
- Check out today's Data Daily: Factor Friday: Factor Performance Driving Indian Stocks
- The Euro Stoxx 600 closed up +0.39%, the FTSE 100 advanced +0.4%, the DAX rose +0.55%, and the CAC 40 finished up +0.18%
- Investor sentiment for European stocks finished trading positive with the advance/decline ratio for the Euro Stoxx 600 currently at 1.26x
- Basic Resources (+1.35%), Personal & Household Goods (+1.31%), and Retail (+0.86%) stocks were the top performers in the Euro Stoxx 600 today
- Telecommunications (-0.46%), Real Estate (-0.43%), and Construction & Materials (-0.3%) stocks were the worst performers in the Euro Stoxx 600 today
- 74 stocks in the Euro Stoxx 600 hit 4-week highs while 106 stocks closed at 4-week lows
- 67 stocks in the Euro Stoxx 600 finished the trading session overbought while 15 stocks closed oversold according to the 16-day RSI Measure
- VSTOXX, the European stocks equivalent of the VIX, closed down -2.43 points today to 11.91 after closing at 14.34 yesterday
- EUR€ is currently up +0.215% against the USD$ to 1.1196
Asian Stock Markets Indexes
Asian Markets Recap
- Chinese and Japanese markets are closed for Labor Day holiday
Stocks Trending in the News
Click name for Q-Factor score and financial data
Global Consumer Stocks Trending in the News
- Berkshire Hathaway (BRK) has taken a stake in Amazon (AMZN). CEO Warren Buffet announced the stake in an interview on CNBC. Buffet said it was not he but one of his colleagues that decided to make the investment. Buffett has said in the past he missed investing in Amazon early on in its history. Buffett has said he was extremely impressed with CEO Jeff Bezos when they met. Berkshire Hathaway is not rated on our Global Top Stock Picks. Amazon is rated “Neutral” in our US Large-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas and “Top Buy” in our US Consumer Discretionary Global Top Stock Ideas
- Beyond Meat (BYND) soared 163% in its first day of trading. Beyond Meat debuted Thursday was bid up all day long. Beyond Meat is a maker of meat substitute products. Beyond Meat raised $241 million in its IPO as it seeks to capitalize on demand for vegan products. Beyond Meat is not yet rated in our Global Top Stock Ideas
- MercadoLibre (MELI) reported first quarter revenue that beat consensus. MercadoLibre reported first quarter revenue $473.8 million, well above the $421 million consensus. MercadoLibre reported total payment volume of $5.64 billion benefiting from its recent push into payments. Gross merchandise volume in the quarter was $3.09 billion. MercadoLibre is rated “Neutral” in our US Information Technology Global Top Stock Ideas.
- Newell Brands (NWL) reported earnings that beat consensus with net sales that came in line. Newell Brands reported first quarter normalized EPS of 14 cents, well above 3 cents expected. First quarter net sales of $1.7 billion, in line with $1.69 billion. Newell’s CEO commented that the company has gotten off to a good start to the year. Newell Brands is rated “Top Short” in our US Large-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas and “Neutral” in our US Consumer Discretionary Global Top Stock Ideas
- Shake Shack (SHAK) reported sales growth that beat expectations and upped guidance. Shake Shack first quarter same store sales grew 3.6%, well ahead of the 0.8% growth expected. Revenue of $132 million beat $127 million expected. Second quarter revenue guidance was hiked to $576 million to $582 million, up from $570 million. Shake Shack is rated “Unattractive” in our US Large-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas and “Neutral” in our US Consumer Discretionary Global Top Stock Ideas.
- Tesla Inc. (TSLA) shares traded higher after the company announced plans to raise roughly $2 billion of capital through debt and stock offerings. Tesla filed on Thursday to sell $1.35 billion in convertible debt notes and $650 million in equity shares. Dan Ives of Wedbush Securities explained that, “We view this as a clear net positive for Tesla.” Tesla is rated “Unattractive” in our US Large-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas and “Neutral” in our US Consumer Discretionary Global Top Stock Ideas.
Global Information Technology and Communication Services Stocks Trending in the News
- Activision Blizzard (ATVI) delivered first quarter earnings that beat expectations. Activision Blizzard posted first quarter adjusted EPS of 31 cents versus 26 cents expected. Adjusted revenue of $1.26 billion slightly beat consensus of $1.23 billion. Activision Blizzard gave EPS guidance for the second quarter of 23 cents well below consensus of 37 cents. Full year EPS guidance given was ~$2.10, below consensus of $2.19. Activision Blizzard is rated “Unattractive” in our US Large-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas and “Attractive” in our US Information Technology Global Top Stock Ideas.
- Cognizant (CTSH) cut guidance and reported weak results, leading to 9 downgrades in a single day. Cognizant reported a 14% decline in EPS to 91 cents. Cognizant reduced guidance by 7-9% in constant currency, surprise to most investors. Clients are cutting spending and Cognizant changes CEO and President recently, a mix that has left the company in turmoil. Cognizant is rated “Attractive” in our US Large-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas and “Attractive” in our US Information Technology Global Top Stock Ideas.
- Facebook (FB) announced it is creating a payment system based on cryptocurrencies. The system will be built on top of the backbone of Facebook’s network. If completed, the system would be the most mainstream application of cryptocurrencies. Facebook is trying to recruit financial institutions to participate in the system. The project is called Project Libra and would use a coin that could be use both on the Facebook system and outside it.
Global Healthcare Stocks Trending in the News
- Immunogen (IMGN) reported results that came worse than expected. Immunogen reported a loss per share of 30 cents while consensus was for a 21 cents per share loss. Immunogen posted revenue of $8.58 billion, well below $9.2 billion expected. Immunogen said its operational review is underway with the goal of extending cash position. Immunogen is rated “Top Short” in our US Large-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas is rated “Attractive” in our US Large-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas and “Neutral” in our US Information Technology Global Top Stock Ideas.
Global Commodities & Energy Stocks Trending in the News
- Dominion Energy (D) reported first quarter operating revenue that missed consensus. Dominion Energy first quarter operating revenue of $3.86 billion trailed $4.84 billion expected. First quarter EPS of $1.10 came in line with $1.12. Dominion Energy gave second quarter EPS guidance of 70 to 80 cents. Full year EPS guidance is $4.05 to $4.40 while $4.21 is consensus. Dominion Energy is rated “Attractive” in our US Large-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas
Global Industrials Stocks Trending in the News
- Embraer (ERJ) confirmed its backlog at the end of the first quarter totaled $16 billion, down from $16.3 billion. Embraer said it delivered 11 commercial jets were delivered in the quarter, 10 E175s and 1 E-190-E2s. 11 business jets were delivered as well, 8 were light and 3 were large. Embraer is rated “Neutral” in our Brazil All-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas