Global Stocks Trending in the News for May 7th, 2019
May 07, 2019
Click name for Q-Factor breakdown, latest price details, more financial info and sentiment data.
Global Consumer Stocks Trending in the News
- Berkshire Hathaway (BRK) had its annual meeting this year and CEO Warren Buffett found himself on the defensive. Berkshire Hathaway has trailed the S&P 500 for 10 years, a stretch that has never happened before. Buffett is a big supporter if index investing and many were wondering if it might be better to buy an index fund as opposed to Berkshire Hathaway given the underperformance. Buffett assured investors they should stick with him, assuring investors that performance will return. Berkshire Hathaway is not rated in our Global Top Stock Ideas.
- Brunswick (BC) announced today it is selling its fitness busy to a private equity firm. Brunswick will sell its fitness for about $490 million in an all-cash transaction. Upon completion, Brunswick will be left with just its marine portfolio with market-leading positions in marine propulsion, parts, accessories and services. Brunswick is rated “Attractive” in our US Large-Cap and “Neutral” in our US Consumer Discretionary Global Top Stock Ideas
- Chesapeake Lodging Trust (CHSP) will be acquired by Park Hotels & Resorts (PK) in a $2.7 billion cash and stock deal. Park Hotels is paying a combined $31 per share for Chesapeake, an 8% premium to Friday’s close. The deal will make Park Hotels the second largest lodging investment trust in the market. Chesapeake will sell 5 hotels before the deal complete, leaving the new company with 66 hotels in 17 states. Chesapeake Holdings is rated “Attractive” in our US Large-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas. Park Hotels & Resorts is rated “Unattractive” in our US Large-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas
- Ferrari (RACE) reported first quarter results that beat expectations. Ferrari first quarter adjusted ebitda was 311 million euros, ahead of 279.2 million euros consensus. Ferrari posted first quarter revenue of 940 million euros, beating 865.9 million consensus. First quarter EPS of 0.95 euros beat 0.83 euros consensus. Ferrari said it will introduce 5 new models in 2019. Ferrari is rated “Top Buy” in our European Large-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas.
- Hudson Bay Co. (TSX:HBC) said it is exploring options for its struggling Lord & Taylor chain. Options could include a sale of the chain as Hudson Bay focuses on its more successful chains. Hudson Bay’s CEO said, “everything is on the table” in relation to options for Lord & Taylor. Hudson Bay has already closed a number of Lord & Taylor stores including its flagship store in Mnahattan. Hudson Bay is rated “Neutral” in our Canada All-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas
- Kraft Heinz (KHC) said it will need to restate its financial results for 2016, 2017 and 2018 after finding employee misconduct in the procurement process. The misconduct caused the cost of goods to be inflated. Kraft Heinz said the restatements will results in adjustments of less than 2%. Kraft Heinz said its investigation is complete and there was no evidence that senior managers were involved. Kraft Heinz is rated “Top Short” in our US Large-Cap and “Attractive” in our US Consumer Discretionary Global Top Stock Ideas
- Shake Shack (SHAK) reported sales growth that beat expectations and upped guidance. Shake Shack first quarter same store sales grew 3.6%, well ahead of the 0.8% growth expected. Revenue of $132 million beat $127 million expected. Second quarter revenue guidance was hiked to $576 million to $582 million, up from $570 million. Shake Shack is rated “Unattractive” in our US Large-Cap and “Neutral” in our US Consumer Discretionary Global Top Stock Ideas.
- Starbucks (SBUX) got a bit of free publicity when one of its cups appeared in a scene of Games of Thrones in its most recent episode. There was a disposable cut with a Starbucks logo on it sitting on a table in front of the character Mother of Dragons, a clear oversight. Fans of the show were quick to spot the cup and lit up social media with comments shortly thereafter. Starbucks was very happy with the exposure. Starbucks is rated “Top Buy” in our US Large-Cap and “Top Buy” in our US Consumer Discretionary Global Top Stock Ideas
- Sysco (SYY) reported fiscal third quarter adjusted earnings that beat consensus. Sysco reported fiscal third quarter adjusted EPS of 79 cents, beatings consensus of 70 cents. Fiscal third quarter revenue of $14.7 billion trailed $14.77 billion. Sysco is rated “Neutral” in our US Large-Cap and “Top Buy” in our US Consumer Discretionary Global Top Stock Ideas
- Tesla Inc. (TSLA) shares traded higher after the company announced plans to raise roughly $2 billion of capital through debt and stock offerings. Tesla filed on Thursday to sell $1.35 billion in convertible debt notes and $650 million in equity shares. Dan Ives of Wedbush Securities explained that, “We view this as a clear net positive for Tesla.” Tesla is rated “Unattractive” in our US Large-Cap and “Neutral” in our US Consumer Discretionary Global Top Stock Ideas.
- Tyson Foods (TSN) said today that it will introduce meatless protein product through 2019 as it looks to take on Beyond Meat (BYND). Tyson held 6.5% of Beyond Meat and unloaded the shares just before its IPO last week, missing out on the 163% run up in its first day of trading. Tyson will introduce its meatless products on a limited basis mid-2019 with a more complete rollout later in the year. Tyson Foods is rated “Neutral” in our US Large-Cap and “Attractive” in our US Consumer Staples Global Top Stock Ideas. Beyond Meat is not yet rated in our Global Top Stock Ideas.
- Walt Disney (DIS) saw another strong weekend for its latest Avengers movie, “Averngers: Endgame.” Disney saw total ticket sales pass the $2 billion mark, the first for a film in such a short amount of time. It took just 11 days to hit that mark. The last film to hit that mark took 47 days, it was “Avatar.” This is the fifth movie to surpass $2 billion is ticket sales. Walt Disney is rated “Attractive” in our US Large-Cap and “Attractive” in our US Information Technology Global Top Stock Ideas.
Global Information Technology and Communication Services Stocks Trending in the News
- Activision Blizzard (ATVI) delivered first quarter earnings that beat expectations. Activision Blizzard posted first quarter adjusted EPS of 31 cents versus 26 cents expected. Adjusted revenue of $1.26 billion slightly beat consensus of $1.23 billion. Activision Blizzard gave EPS guidance for the second quarter of 23 cents well below consensus of 37 cents. Full year EPS guidance given was ~$2.10, below consensus of $2.19. Activision Blizzard is rated “Unattractive” in our US Large-Cap and “Attractive” in our US Information Technology Global Top Stock Ideas
- Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) said the US Department of Energy chose its chips for its next supercomputer. Researchers at the Oak Ridge National Lab are building the supercomputer to work on artificial intelligence, weather patterns and subatomic particles. The new machine with AMD chips will be 50 times faster than the current system when it comes online in 2021. Advanced Micro Devices is rated “Top Short” in our US Large-Cap and “Neutral” in our US Information Technology Global Top Stock Ideas.
- Alphabet’s (GOOGL) Google may introduce tools to limit tracking cookies, WSJ is reporting. Google may introduce the tools for its Chrome browser at its developers conference next week. The tools will limit cookies from third-party profit-seeking companies. Importantly, the tools are not expected to hinder Google’s ability to collect user data. Alphabet is rated “Top Buy” in our US Large-Cap and “Top Buy” in our US Information Technology Global Top Stock Ideas.
- Apple (AAPL) is preparing for its development conference, the Worldwide Developers Conference, that is in about a month. Apple is set launch a number of new apps and software development tools. Bloomberg highlights today the difficult line Apple has to walk between needing developers support and competing with them in the market. Apple is expected to launch upgrade to core apps for the iPhone, new apps for the Apple Watch and the iPad. Apple is rated “Attractive” in our US Large-Cap and “Top Buy” in our US Information Technology Global Top Stock Ideas.
- Marvell technology (MRVL) agreed to acquire Aquantia (AQ) in a $452 million deal. Marvell agreed to pay $13.25 per share for Aquantia in cash for all outstanding shares. Marvell said the deal will immediately be accretive to earnings and will generate run-rate synergies of $40 million annually after 12 months. The deal is expected to close by the end of 2019. Aquantia is rated “Neutral” in our US Large-Cap and “Unattractive” in our US Information Technology Global Top Stock Ideas.
Global Financial Stocks Trending in the News
- AIG (AIG) report first quarter adjusted earnings that beat consensus strongly. AIG reported first quarter EPS of $1.58, well ahead of $1.05. First quarter ROE of 11.6% is a massive improvement over 7.7% a year ago. AIG posted net investment income of $3.9 billion, up from $3.3 billion a year ago. Results overall came above expectations and showed a huge improvement from a year ago. AIG is rated “Top Short” in our US Large-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas
- Banco Bradesco (BBD), Brazil’s second largest bank, is acquiring Florida-based BAC Florida Bank in a $500 million deal. The deal will give Bradesco access to 13,000 private banking clients. Bradesco has never had this size present outside of Brazil. BAC Florida has $862 million in assets under custody. Banco Bradesco is rated “Unattractive” in our Brazil All-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas
Global Industrials Stocks Trending in the News
- Boeing (BA) limited the role of its own pilots in the final stages of approval for the 737 Max, according to the WSJ. Boeing’s pilots were not aware of key functioning of the MCAS system implicated in its 2 crashes. The lack of involvement by Boeing’s own pilots in the final stages is raising eyebrows and sure to gain more scrutiny from regulators. Boeing is rated “Top Short” in our US Large-Cap and “Unattractive” in our US Industrials Global Top Stock Ideas
- Boise Cascade (BCC) reported first quarter sales that missed consensus. Boise Cascade first quarter sales of $1.04 billion missed $1.18 billion consensus. First quarter ebitda of $40.7 million also missed $41.1 million consensus. Boise said it sees slower demand growth in 2019, saying extreme weather in the first quarter plus capacity additions due to come on line soon will weigh on results. Boise Cascade is rated “Neutral” in our US SMID-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas
- Fluor (FLR) was downgraded to neutral from buy at Godman Sachs. Fluor also saw its price target cut to $28 from $44, the lowest target in the market. Goldman Sachs cited the “unclear medium-term margin outlook” in its downgrade of Fluor. Fluor is transitioning to a new CEO and Goldman in not sure the company can maintain its backlog. Fluor is rated “Top Short” in our US Large-Cap and “Top Buy” in our US Consumer Discretionary Global Top Stock Ideas
Global Commodities & Energy Stocks Trending in the News
- Anadarko Petroleum (APC) said on Monday that the offer from Occidental Petroleum (OXY) is superior to that it received from Chevron (CVX). Anadarko said it informed Chevron that the $33 billion deal it agreed to is terminated. Chevron now has 4 business days to make a counteroffer and if it does not make one, Anadarko will owe Chevron a $1 billion breakup fee. Occidental said it was pleased Anadarko has accepted its offer. Occidental removed the need for a shareholder vote and was said to be key to moving forward. Anadarko Petroleum is rated “Unattractive” in our US Large-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas. Occidental Petroleum is rated “Neutral” in our US Large-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas. Chevron is rated “Neutral” in our US Large-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas.
- Vale (VALE) suffered another production setback when a court ruled its massive Brucutu mine must stop production. Brucutu produced 30 million tons of iron ore and was recently reopened only to have a court halt operations again. Vale said with the disruption, annual production should be at the low end of its 307 to 332 million tons of guidance. Vale is rated “Attractive” in our Brazil All-Cap Global Top Stock Ideas