Trade War Trash Talk: If you don't meet me, more tariffs for you!
Jun 10, 2019
- President Trump threatened to slap tariffs on the $300b billion in Chinese imports that don’t presently have tariffs if President Xi does not meet with him at the G-20 summit
- The G-20 summit start later this week but finance ministers already started meeting over the weekend
- There was no progress reported on China after the finance ministers’ meetings
- President Trump told CNBC, “China is going to make a deal because they are going to have to make a deal”
- President Trump said he believes the 2 leaders will in fact meet at the G-20 so why he felt the need to reiterate his threat to hike tariffs is not clear
- Fresh off his “win” with Mexico President Trump may feel emboldened after the month-long impasse with China
- During the month of impasse, each side has ratcheted up the trade war with markets suffering the collateral damage
- Trump again mentioned Huawei and that a trade deal with China could include relief from the US efforts to block the company from international markets based on national security concerns
- In discussing potentially including Huawei in a deal, Trump added, “They want to make a deal much more than I do, but we’ll see what happens”
Read more on the trade wars underway:
Counting the Casualties: What is the price to be paid if tariffs go to the max promised?
It was you! China publishes white paper, pointing finger at US for causing trade tension
You have your blacklist, we'll make ours! China creating list of "unreliable entities" from the US, saying "Necessary means will be taken"
Don't Say I Didn't Warn You: Chinese State Media Threatens US with a Big Rare Earth Metals Stick