Who's holding up the US-China trade deal? "It's me!" President Trumps says today
Jun 11, 2019
- Today President Trump answered some questions from reporters and unsurprisingly he was asked about the prospects for a trade deal with China, Bloomberg reports
- The President told reporters “It’s me that is holding up the deal”
- Trump added, “Right now China wants to make a deal very badly,” a statement he has made previously
- President Trump said he expects to meet with China’s President Xi at the G-20 Summit later this month
Read more on the trade war:
Trade War Trash Talk: If you don't meet me, more tariffs for you!
Counting the Casualties: What is the price to be paid if tariffs go to the max promised?
It was you! China publishes white paper, pointing finger at US for causing trade tension
You have your blacklist, we'll make ours! China creating list of "unreliable entities" from the US, saying "Necessary means will be taken"
Don't Say I Didn't Warn You: Chinese State Media Threatens US with a Big Rare Earth Metals Stick
- China has yet to confirm that Xi will in fact attend, though most doubt he will miss it
- A meeting with President Trump is not assured, however
- Xi must decide whether to meet a potentially appear weak for having caved or rebuff President Trump to show that China will not be bullied by the US as nationalism grows at home
- President Trump concluded by saying, “We had a deal with China and then they went back on the deal, and unless they go back to the deal, I have no interest.”