Long Live LATAM! Latin American ETFs Dominate List of Top Performing ETFs this Month
Jun 20, 2019
Today we are taking a look at the best performing ETFs in our coverage universe over the last month.
Top Performing ETFs this Month
|VelocityShares 3x Inverse Crude Oil ETN
|iShares MSCI Brazil Small-Cap ETF
|VanEck Vectors Brazil Small-Cap ETF
|iShares MSCI Brazil ETF
|Franklin FTSE Brazil ETF
|VanEck Vectors Gold Miners ETF
|Global X MSCI Argentina ETF
|iShares Latin America 40 ETF
|Invesco DWA Healthcare Momentum ETF
|Invesco DWA Emerging Markets Momentum ETF
- The Velocity Shares 3x Inverse Crude Oil ETN (DWT) is the top performing ETF in our coverage universe over the last month, returning 42.21% to investors amid a rout in crude oil prices over fears of a supply glut.
- Stocks in Latin America, mainly Brazil and Argentina, have outperformed over the last month with 3 of the ETFs highlighted above investing in Brazilian equities, 2 of the ETFs highlighted above investing in Argentinian equities, and 1 of the ETFs highlighted above investing in broad Latin American equities.
- The strong performance in Brazilian stocks over the last month can be attributed to pension reformed expected to soon be passed in Brazil in addition to increased expectations of an interest rate cut.
- Argentinian stocks have rallied of late amid interest rate cuts by the Central Bank of Argentina this year paired with positive sentiment and developments related to the country’s upcoming presidential elections in October of this year.
- The VanEck Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX), which invests in companies that generate 50% or more of annual revenue from gold mining/related activities, is a top performing ETF this month with returns of 15.66%. As prospects of a US interest rate cut in 2019 have increased over the last month, gold miners have observed higher demand as investors seek to purchase gold to hedge against expected higher inflation.